UQ assists visiting students with medical elective placements. UQ Medicine defines visiting students as those who are seeking to enrol in medical elective placements through UQ while they are enrolled at another institution within Queensland, interstate, or external to Australia.
Medical elective placements of four-eight weeks in duration are available to all Queensland, interstate and international medical students who have completed at least one semester of clinical training.
UQ has multiple agreements in place giving us the authority to coordinate medical elective placements in locations extending from the New South Wales state border through to, and including, Rockhampton. Any medical electives north of Rockhampton are administered by James Cook University.
The placements are available for electives only and are not to be considered as an intricate assessed placement. UQ may extend opportunities for visiting students to attend tutorials, but will not provide summative assessment or formal teaching sessions for your approved elective placement.
In order to be eligible for offer of an elective placement students must provide evidence and meet minimum requirements for the following:
- Cumulative Grade Point Average of 4.5 on a 7 point scale. Do not be concerned if your home insitution does use this scale as we will convert your score to the appropriate scale
- Minimum English Proficiency equivalent to an overall band score of 7 on an IELTS test. Other tests are able to be supplied, your rank will be converted to the IELTS banding
- Immunity to Hepatitis B, Pertussis (Whooping Cough), Varicella (Chicken Pox), Tubercolosis, Measles, Mumps and Rubella
- Applicants will also need to provide evidence that they have been screened for and are free from blood-borne infectious diseases such as Hepatitis B & Hepatitis C as well as HIV
- Eligibility for a Queensland Blue Card
- Payment of required fees and charges
We offer placements in a wide range of medical and surgical disciplines and will try to accommodate your first preference where possible. UQ cannot guarantee the availability of clinical placements.
Important Note for Queensland Medical Students
- Students from Bond University, Griffith University and James Cook University wishing to apply for an elective at one of UQ's teaching hospitals must do so through The University of Queensland. This is to prevent hospital departments from being overloaded with students.
- Queensland students are required to submit all required documentation excluding a criminal history check.
- Queensland students, and those from selected partner institutions, will not be required to pay application or placement fees.